Child Custody Forms

By Staff Writer

Child Custody Forms--Beginning of a Long Relationship with Your Non-custodial Spouse
Filling out your child custody forms are the beginning of your court-supported custody of your children. Yet after your divorce has been filed, even after winning a harrowing child custody battle, your troubles don't end. Because now you and your ex-spouse must attempt to live day to day with the court's decree on child custody and visitation.

If you are the custodial parent and you are receiving child support, you know that the payments are enforced by the state. Your spouse can't get out of them. Since 1994, it is much harder for the non-custodial spouse paying child support to declare bankruptcy, also. However, the sad truth is that more than 50% of all custodial parents, mostly mothers, do not receive their child support regularly, and fully 37% of them are making do with no checks whatsoever.

Child Support Arrearages
The formal term for past due child support is an arrearage. If your ex is not paying, you can get help from your state's Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program. They will charge little or nothing for the service, but it may be subject to long delays. Some state divorce laws are tougher than others, and some states really go after deadbeat dads.

Your Child Custody Forms probably resulted in a court ruling with visitation privileges. The traditional weapon of the custodial parent lacking funds is to suspend visitation until the child support is paid. This can be a bad idea for two reasons. It can harm your child psychologically, which is the last thing you want to do, and it can actually give your ex a weapon against you if you are continually countermanding the court's decree. It's best to consult an attorney, who may recommend a private child support collection agency. For recommended divorce law attorneys, check our recommended website.